Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The 10 cent Basket

You know when you look all around the house and there is just stuff everyone...and NONE of it is yours! This happened to me last weekend. Sunday afternoon I looked around and I had just had it! I told everyone to come in the family room I announced that everyone needed to pick up your own stuff! I let them all in on a little secret...I am NOT a maid! So everyone cleaned up their stuff ( including my oldest child Corey!). I told them we now have a new rule. I will pick up the house at the end of the night and put everything that I find in a basket. In the morning you will be able to buy the stuff back from me for 10 cents. If your name if Corey you will pay me $5 for anything I find! They were not to sure that I was serious, however in the morning they realized I was totally serious when this is what they found! I gave them a break this first morning. This was the final warning! It has been a great way to motivate clean up by reminding them they don't want to find their stuff in the 10 cent basket! It has worked great I am not finding people stuff all over the place and I am not feeling like a maid!

3 comments:

Keri said...

I totally need to start doing that. I can't take it anymore either. Thanks for the great idea!!

Alicia Rutledge said...

My dad did that to Kara when she was in high school. All she had to do was apologize and ask for her stuff back. I think my dad finally gave up and gave her the two trash bags after a month. Can you say stubborn?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.